How to Get the Attention of the Utility Company to Solve Your Issue

How to Get the Attention of the Utility Company to Solve Your Issue

As a contractor, should an issue arise, it may be difficult to get your situation resolved when dealing with a large utility company. After contacting the utility company about your issue and you still cannot get your situation resolved, you do have more options.

The New York State Department of Public Service (DPS) is available Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm at 800-342-3377 to file a complaint and one can also be filed online on their website at

All complaints to the DPS are taken seriously, and the utility company typically responds to your complaint within 24-48 hours. If the utility company does not respond to your complaint within two weeks or if the matter remains unresolved after the utility company issues their response, the DPS encourages you to contact their office again and they will investigate the matter and report their findings to you.

Once the DPS issues their findings of the matter and if you believe the initial decision made by the DPS is wrong, you can request an informal hearing or informal review of the case with DPS. Filing this request should be made within fifteen days of the decision either by phone or in writing. If after the informal hearing or informal review a resolution cannot be made between you and the utility company, the DPS hearing officer will make a decision on your complaint and notify you in writing.

If you believe that the DPS hearing officer’s informal hearing or informal review decision was still incorrect, you have the option to appeal the decision in writing within fifteen days of the decision. All appeals will then be decided by the New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) and the PSC will notify you of their decision in writing.

This process is available to anyone who is having difficulty resolving an issue whether you are a customer or a contractor dealing with a utility company. If you are having difficulty with the process or if you would like additional information on this process, you are always welcome to contact our main office at 585-436-4460 and we would be happy to assist you.

1) NYS Dept of Public Service – Guide to Filing Complaints About Your Regulated Utility Service – Publication 01/20rv
2) PCS Regulations – Home Energy Fair Practices Act – 12/08